It’s important that AltaGas Utilities personnel have ready access to your meter at all times.
When the snow needs shoveling, it’s probably a good time to take a look at your outdoor gas meter. Overhead icicles and freezing run-off can damage your gas meter and regulator or create a serious fire or carbon monoxide hazard. It’s important to keep your meter and regulator clear and accessible.
If you feel there is a potential problem, please contact AltaGas Utilities at 1-866-222-2067.
Here’s how you can avoid any problems:
All natural gas burning appliances are designed to burn cleanly. A well-tuned appliance produces only heat, water vapour and carbon dioxide (not carbon monoxide). If your appliances are installed, maintained and operated properly they should not produce carbon monoxide. You can safeguard yourself and your loved ones by following these simple steps:
Many older gas appliances have a small, continuously burning gas flame that ignites the main burner. Newer models have electric igniters.
Most gas appliances have a valve that lets you turn off the gas to that appliance only. You should know where these valves are.
Knowing the location of your main shutoff valve will help you turn off the gas supply to your entire home quickly, if that's ever needed. In general, you don't need to shut off a gas meter unless there is a strong odour or sound of escaping gas or if there is major damage to the building. If your gas is turned off, there may be a delay before AltaGas Utilities can turn your service on, but do not turn it on yourself. Leave it off until service can be re-established safely by an AltaGas Utilities service person.
We put a telltale, sulphur-like odor in natural gas to make it detectable. If you would like a scratch and sniff card to help you recognize this odor, please contact our Customer Care Centre at 1-866-222-2067 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.